Our mentors are our greatest assets
If you’re thinking about joining, we'd love you to get involved and support new students at UWA.
Become a UniMentor
Or are you a new student looking to get a mentor?
Register to get a UniMentor
Why be a mentor?
Being a mentor is rewarding, and students participate for many reasons, but most agree they receive as much from being a mentor as they give. As a mentor, you can:
- meet interesting people
- develop your communication and leadership skills and transfer them to social, academic and professional situations
- participate in social activities, events and excursions
- assist other students in a voluntary capacity which boosts your résumé
- complete 50 per cent of the supplementary activities required for the UWA Career Employability Award
- Successfully attend and meet the requirements of an in-person interview, as required
- Participate in other Orientation activities
- Support new students (mentees)
- Provide mentees with information about their area of study
- Refer mentees to University services as required
- Maintain contact with mentees and be responsive to requests for support
- Attend events where possible
- Act as a positive role model and ambassador for UWA and the UniMentor program
What training is required?
To qualify as a UniMentor, you’ll need to register for and complete a training program with three key elements:
- Online UniMentor training module
- UniMentor Induction Session
- Cultural competency and diversity training
Once qualified, you can sign up for additional professional development opportunities that further your mentoring skills.
You may be interested in these currently available courses:
Mental Health First Aid Training
Training in mental health first aid enables you to provide a person developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis with support until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves.
This course will raise your awareness of the life experience, issues and needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and intersex staff and students.
Unconscious Bias Workshop
Available to current UniMentors only, this workshop covers how unconscious biases can affect our understanding of, and ability to, embrace diversities in culture, gender and sexuality.
Leveraging Your UniMentor Experience
Learn how to leverage the experience you’ve gained from being part of the UniMentor program to help you gain employment successfully.
How you help
Being a mentor is invaluable for students in any area of study and the benefits extend to the schools themselves as well, by fostering camaraderie and cooperation among students.
As a mentor you have the opportunity to:
- share valuable knowledge with new students that you’ve gained as a result of your own student experience – think back to what you know now compared to when you started uni
- contribute to UWA’s commitment to assisting students to transition to uni study
- contribute to the development of the mentor program by feeding back your views
If you complete at least a semester of the UniMentor program, you can request a reference and a statement of service that highlights the volunteering you undertook as a mentor.
You’ll also be recognised with volunteer hours on your supplementary student record on studentConnect, which is recorded and uploaded at the end of each semester.
Every year we also host a UniMentor Appreciation Ceremony to acknowledge the commitment of our UniMentors.
At this event we announce our UniMentors of the Year who are recognised on our UniMentor Honour Boards in Student Central.
We also recognise the recipients of the Mentee Choice awards who are mentors who have been nominated by the students they assisted.
Become a UniMentor
Ready to join our team? Fill out a registration form to get started and we'll be in touch.